On Could sixth, Westminster Abbey will host a grand ceremony to crown King Charles and Queen Camilla, with dignitaries from all over the world invited to witness this historic occasion. Whereas US President Joe Biden will not attend, over 100 different heads of state shall be current, together with UK parliamentarians, celebrities, and representatives from varied communities and charities. The invitation, adorned with a superbly hand-painted watercolour and gouache illustration, emphasises the unique nature of the visitor listing, which incorporates 2,300 people. Many friends from totally different components of the globe shall be travelling to London to witness this historic event, and right here, we’ve listed all of those that will attend the coronation.
A coronation is a big ceremony that invests a monarch with their regal powers, that includes grand celebrations and the presentation of royal ceremonial objects, together with the Crown Jewels. The crown is positioned on the sovereign’s head through the ceremony, which takes place in entrance of quite a few esteemed friends. Whereas the objects utilized in coronations could have modified over time, the English coronation of monarchs has remained largely constant for nearly a millennium. This yr, the world will witness the coronation of King Charles III, the primary coronation of a sovereign in the UK since Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.
When is the Coronation and what’s going to occur?
The Coronation service is scheduled to start at 11 am on Saturday, Could 6, at Westminster Abbey. Following the ceremony, a collection of occasions, together with a live performance at Windsor Fortress, will happen over the weekend. The King and Queen Consort will embark on The King’s Procession from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey.
The Archbishop of Canterbury will conduct the service, throughout which Their Majesties shall be topped on the Abbey in London. Buckingham Palace has said that the ceremony will honour the monarch’s present function and imaginative and prescient for the longer term whereas nonetheless adhering to long-standing traditions and pageantry.
The Palace has emphasised that the Coronation is a solemn non secular service in addition to a time for celebration and pageantry, with a construction that has remained constant for over a millennium.
The upcoming Coronation is anticipated to retain its core components whereas reflecting the spirit of the occasions. Westminster Abbey has been the location of the ceremony for the previous 900 years, with the Archbishop of Canterbury presiding over the service nearly repeatedly since 1066.
Coronation will embrace quite a few ceremonies that have been beforehand seen through the late Queen’s reign, together with the oath, anointing, homage, and enthronement. King Charles III shall be formally topped with the crown of St Edward positioned on his head, whereas sitting on the Coronation Chair, often known as Edward’s Chair. He’ll maintain the sovereign’s sceptre and rod, representing his management over the nation, and the sovereign’s orb, symbolising the Christian world.
Nonetheless, not like the 1953 Coronation of his mom, the anointing of the King will happen out of sight, behind a three-sided display screen as a substitute of only a cover. This new addition to the ceremony is a tribute to the Commonwealth and the King’s dedication to sustainability. The service has additionally been deliberate to be extra inclusive of various faiths and group teams, reflecting the ethnic variety of recent Britain as per the King’s want.
King Charles III would be the first monarch to publicly pray throughout his Coronation service. He’ll ask to be a “blessing” to individuals “of each religion and conviction”. Whereas over 8,000 friends from 129 international locations attended the late Queen’s coronation, the occasion this yr shall be restricted to 2,000 resulting from well being and security restrictions.
The King needs for a various congregation to witness the ceremony and has invited representatives from his quite a few charity affiliations and the voluntary sector. Nonetheless, just a few Members of Parliament and friends have been invited to the occasion.
King Charles’s Coronation visitor listing
The coronation of King Charles III is scheduled for this weekend, and whereas preliminary studies prompt a scaled-down service, the visitor listing is steadily rising. Right here, we offer an in depth listing of all of the attendees anticipated to be current on the ceremony on Could sixth.
The British royal household
The upcoming coronation ceremony could have members of the Home of Windsor in attendance. These members embrace Princess Anne, who’s Charles’s sister, his son Prince William and daughter-in-law Catherine, who’s the Princess of Wales. Moreover, Prince George, his grandson, shall be a web page of honor on the ceremony. Though Prince Harry will attend, his spouse Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, and their two kids, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, won’t be current on the occasion.
All of the members of the British royal household who’re anticipated to attend:
- Prince William and Catherine, Princess of Wales, with their kids: Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis
- Princess Anne and her husband, Sir Timothy Laurence
- Prince Edward and his spouse, Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh, together with their kids: Girl Louise and James, Earl of Wessex
- Prince Andrew
- Princess Beatrice and her husband, Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
- Princess Eugenie and her husband, Jack Brooksbank
- Zara Tindall and her husband, Mike Tindall
- Peter Phillips
- Prince Edward, the Duke of Kent
- Prince Michael of Kent and his spouse, Princess Michael of Kent
- Princess Alexandra
- Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, and his spouse, Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester
- Girl Sarah Chatto (Princess Margaret’s daughter) and her husband, Daniel Chatto
- David Armstrong Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon (Princess Margaret’s son)
Historically, different topped heads of state don’t attend the coronation ceremony. Nonetheless, quite a few international monarchs are anticipated to be current at King Charles’ coronation. Throughout Queen Elizabeth’s coronation, Queen Sālote Tupou III of Tonga was one of many few international monarchs who attended. At current, a number of monarchs have confirmed their attendance. Right here’s the listing:
- Prince Albert and Princess Charlene of Monaco
- Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko of Japan
- Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
- King Carl XVI Gustav and Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
- King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain
- Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway
- Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg
- Queen Anne-Marie and Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece
- King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima of the Netherlands
- King Tuheitia and Makau Ariki Atawhai, Māori royals of New Zealand
- King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium
- King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck and Queen Jetsun Pema of Bhutan
- King Vajiralongkorn and Queen Suthida of Thailand
- King Tupou VI and Queen Nanasipau’u of Tonga
- Otumfuo Osei Tutu II and Girl Julia, Ashanti royals of Ghana
- King Abdullah II and Queen Rania of Jordan
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong and Raja Permaisuri Agong Tunku of Malaysia
- Hereditary Prince Alois and Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein
- King Hamad of Bahrain
- Prince Mishal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah of Kuwait
- King Mswati III of Eswatini
- King Letsie III and Queen Masenate of Lesotho
- Prince Turki bin Muhammad Al Saud of Saudi Arabia
- Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed of the United Arab Emirates
- Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani of Qatar
- Theyazin bin Haitham Al Mentioned of Oman
- Princess Lalla Meryem of Morocco
Queen Camilla’s household
Whereas Queen Camilla‘s household has not made any public bulletins about their attendance, it’s extremely possible that her kids, Tom Parker Bowles and Laura Lopes, together with their respective households, shall be current on the occasion. Additionally anticipated to attend are her sister Annabel Elliot, her nieces Alice Irwin, Katie Elliot, and Ayesha Shand, and her nephew Ben Elliot. Moreover, three of her grandsons and certainly one of her grand-nephews will function pages of honour. Her ex-husband, Andrew Parker Bowles, can be on the visitor listing.
The upcoming coronation ceremony will reportedly be attended by varied members of the Princess of Wales’s household, together with:
- Carole Middleton (mom)
- Michael Middleton (father)
- Pippa Middleton (sister) and her husband James Matthews
- James Middleton (brother) and his spouse Alizee Thevenet
The household’s presence is anticipated so as to add to the grandeur of the occasion.
UK leaders, British MPs, and friends
In line with a report by The Telegraph, the visitor listing for the coronation ceremony will not be but public, however it’s stated that solely 40 Members of Parliament (MPs) and 40 friends shall be in attendance. Whereas the confirmed attendees haven’t been totally disclosed, some names have been introduced.
- Rishi Sunak, the UK’s Prime Minister, and his spouse Akshata Murthy will each attend the Coronation.
- In line with The Each day Mail, no different Cupboard members shall be given a plus one.
- Humza Yousaf, the First Minister of Scotland, is anticipated to attend.
- Mark Drakeford, the First Minister of Wales, can be on the visitor listing.
- Nicholas Lyons, the Lord Mayor of the Metropolis of London, will attend the Coronation.
- Richard Holden, MP for North West Durham, expressed his pleasure on Twitter for being one of many few Members of Parliament who received the poll to signify the Home of Commons.
- Andrew Carter, MP for Warrington South, can be anticipated to attend.
- Brendan O’Hara, MP for Argyll and Bute, is on the visitor listing.
- Ian Blackford, MP for Ross, Skye & Lochaber, will attend the Coronation.
- Michelle O’Neill, the Sinn Féin vice-president, can be anticipated to attend.
- Alex Maskey, the Speaker of the Northern Eire Meeting, is on the visitor listing.
- Lesley Hogg, the Chief Government of the Northern Eire Meeting, may also attend.
- Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, the Chief of the Democratic Unionist Celebration (DUP) of Northern Eire, is anticipated to attend the Coronation.
Record of cupboard members:
- Oliver Dowden – Deputy Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
- Jeremy Hunt – Chancellor
- James Cleverly – International Secretary
- Suella Braverman – Dwelling Secretary
- Ben Wallace – Defence Secretary
- Michelle Donelan – Science, Innovation and Know-how Secretary
- Michael Gove – Levelling Up, Housing and Communities Secretary
- Steve Barclay – Well being Secretary
- Penny Mordaunt – Lord President of the Council and Chief of the Commons
- Kemi Badenoch – Enterprise and Commerce Secretary
- Therese Coffey – Setting Secretary
- Mel Stride – Work and Pensions Secretary
- Gillian Keegan – Training Secretary
- Mark Harper – Transport Secretary
- Alex Chalk – Justice Secretary
- Lucy Frazer – Tradition, Media and Sport Secretary
- Chris Heaton-Harris – Northern Eire Secretary
- Alister Jack – Scotland Secretary
- David T C Davies – Wales Secretary
- Keir Starmer – Labour chief
- Lindsay Hoyle – Speaker of the Home of Commons
All seven former Prime Ministers who’re nonetheless residing are anticipated to attend:
- Liz Truss
- Boris Johnson
- Theresa Could
- David Cameron
- Gordon Brown
- Tony Blair
- John Main
British The Aristocracy
In comparison with Queen Elizabeth’s coronation 70 years in the past, Charles’s coronation could have fewer aristocrats in attendance. Girl Pamela Hicks, a former lady-in-waiting to the late Queen, has declined the invitation, however she sees it as a clever resolution, in keeping with her daughter India.
Regardless of this, some members of the the Aristocracy will attend the ceremony resulting from their historic function in it. These people maintain varied positions within the ceremony, as outlined under.
- Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 18th Duke of Norfolk – answerable for organizing the coronation
- David Cholmondeley, seventh Marquess of Cholmondeley – was concerned within the ceremony alongside together with his spouse, Rose Hanbury, the Marchioness of Cholmondeley, and their son, Oliver, who shall be a web page of honor
- Merlin Hay, twenty fourth Earl of Errol – performing because the Lord Excessive Constable of Scotland and carrying a silver baton or workers
- Anthony Lindsay, thirtieth Earl of Crawford and thirteenth Earl of Balcarres – serving as Deputy to the Nice Steward of Scotland
- Ian Campbell, eleventh Duke of Argyll – collaborating within the coronation
- Joseph Morrow – the present Lord Lyon King of Arms and participating within the King’s procession
- Delaval Thomas Harold Astley, twenty third Baron Hastings – was additionally concerned within the ceremony.
International heads of state
Leaders from all over the world will attend. Here is who’s stated they’re going to be there:
- Emmanuel Macron, President of France
- Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada
- Mary Simon, Governor-Basic of Canada
- Andrzej Duda, President of Poland
- First Girl Jill Biden, main a U.S. delegation
- Anthony Albanese, Prime Minister of Australia
- David Hurley, Governor-Basic of Australia
- Chris Hipkins, Prime Minister of New Zealand
- Dame Cindy Kiro, Governor-Basic of New Zealand, and her husband, Dr. Richard Davies
- Christopher Luxon, chief of the opposition in New Zealand
- Shehbaz Sharif, Prime Minister of Pakistan
- Frank-Walter Steinmeier, President of Germany
- Sergio Mattarella, President of Italy
- Jagdeep Dhankhar, Vice President of India
- Han Zheng, Vice President of China
- Michael Higgins, President of Eire, and his spouse, Sabina Higgins
- Leo Varadkar, Taoiseach of Eire
- Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and Louise Araneta-Marcos, President and First Girl of the Philippines
- Wavel Ramkalawan, President of Seychelles, and his spouse, Linda Ramkalawan
- Mario Abdo Benítez and Silvana López Moreira, President and First Girl of Paraguay
- Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Union Fee
- Charles Michel, European Union Council President
- Roberta Metsola, President of the European Parliament
- Amina Jane Mohammed, Deputy Secretary Basic of the United Nations
- Borjana Krišto, Chair of the Council of Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Sheikh Hasina, Prime Minister of Bangladesh
- Nikos Christodoulides, President of Cyprus
- Ranil Wickremesinghe, President of Sri Lanka
- Macky Sall, President of Senegal
- Dame Froyla Tzalam, Governor-Basic of Belize
- Cornelius A. Smith, Governor-Basic of the Bahamas, and his spouse, Clara Smith
- Philip Davis, Prime Minister of the Bahamas
- Michael Pintard, Chief of the Opposition within the Bahamas
- Bob Dadae, Governor-Basic of Papua New Guinea
- David Vunagi, Governor-Basic of Solomon Islands
- Võ Văn Thưởng, President of Vietnam
- Emmerson Mnangagwa, President of Zimbabwe
- Petr Pavel, President of the Czech Republic
- Luís Inácio Lula da Silva, President of Brazil
- Alexander Van der Bellen, Federal President of Austria
- Archbishop Joan Enric Vives i Sicília, Co-Prince of Andorra
- Narayan Prakash Saud, Minister of International Affairs of Nepal.
Non secular representatives
Prince Charles has expressed his want to be often called the “defender of the religion” as a substitute of “Defender of the Religion,” acknowledging the non secular variety current within the United Kingdom. In a 2014 assertion, he said that he believed it was potential to each defend and defend varied faiths. Because of this, at his coronation, delegates from varied religion communities shall be in attendance, reflecting this perception.
Record of Non secular Leaders Collaborating in a Ceremony:
- Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis – Chief Rabbi of the UK (Judaism)
- Ven Bogoda Seelawimala Nayaka Thera – Head Monk of the London Buddhist Vihara and Chief Sangha Nayaka of Nice Britain (Buddhism)
- Indarjit Singh, Baron Singh of Wimbledon – Distinguished member of the Sikh group (additionally collaborating within the ceremony) (Sikhism)
- Radha Mohan das – Bhaktivedanta Manor Temple consultant (Hinduism)
- Aliya Azam – Training and Interfaith Coordinator on the Al Khoei Basis (Islam)
The upcoming Anglican ceremony shall be graced by distinguished Anglican leaders, together with:
- Justin Welby, who will officiate the service because the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- Stephen Cottrell, the Archbishop of York.
- John Armes, the Anglican bishop of Edinburgh.
- Paul Butler, the Bishop of Durham.
- Michael Beasley, the Bishop of Tub and Wells.
- David Hoyle, who will attend because the Dean of Westminster.
Record of Confirmed Celebrities to Attend the Coronation Service:
- Bear Grylls – Chief Scout
- Stella McCartney
- Joanna Lumley – (will later be part of Sky Information for his or her protection)
- Rowan Atkinson
- Nick Cave
- Sam Kerr – (will carry Australia’s flag)
- Lionel Richie
- Edward Enninful
- Ant McPartlin
- Declan Donnelly
Individuals with ceremonial roles
Record of the members within the coronation ceremony:
- Antonia Romeo, Clerk of the Crown in Chancery: answerable for recording the coronation
- Admiral Sir Tony Radakin, Chief of the Defence Workers: will act as Lord Excessive Constable of England for the day
- Frances Dymoke, a farmer: will carry the Royal Commonplace
- Cadet Warrant Officer Elliott Tyson-Lee: will carry the flag of the UK
Listed here are the 4 males who will carry the Requirements of the Quarterings of the Royal Arms and Commonplace of the Principality of Wales:
- Hugh Grosvenor, the seventh Duke of Westminster
- Charles Paget, eighth Marquess of Anglesey
- Nicholas Alexander, seventh Earl of Caledon
- Alexander Scrymgeour, twelfth Earl of Dundee, who will carry the Lion Rampart of Scotland.
Individuals who will carry King Charles’s regalia within the procession:
- Sir Gordon Messenger, the Governor of HM Tower of London: St Edward’s Crown as Lord Excessive Steward of England
- Baroness Elizabeth Manningham-Buller: St Edward’s Workers
- Richard Scott, tenth Duke of Buccleuch and twelfth Duke of Queensberry: the Sceptre with Cross
- Baroness Floella Benjamin: the Sceptre with the Dove
- Dame Elizabeth Anionwu: the Orb
- Brigadier Andrew Jackson (The Keeper of the Jewel Home): the Sovereign’s Ring
- Petty Officer Amy Taylor: the Sword of Providing
- Simon Abney-Hastings, the fifteenth Earl of Loudoun: the Golden Spurs
- Penny Mordaunt, Lord President of the Council: the Sword of State
- Air Chief Marshal the Lord Peach: the Sword of Mercy (The Curtana)
- The Lord Richards of Herstmonceux: the Sword of Religious Justice
- The Lord Houghton of Richmond: the Sword of Temporal Justice
The next people shall be answerable for presenting the King with the regalia through the coronation ceremony:
- Rupert Francis John Carrington, the seventh Baron Carrington – Spurs
- Baron Syed Kamall – Armills
- Baroness Gillian Merron – Gown Royal
- Rev. John McDowell, the Church of Eire Archbishop of Armagh – Orb
- Baron Narendra Patel – Ring
- Indarjit Singh, Baron of Wimbledon – Coronation Glove
- Rev. Mark Unusual, Bishop of Moray, Ross, and Caithness, and Episcopal Primus of Scotland – Sceptre with Cross
- Rev. Andrew John, the Archbishop of Wales – Sceptre with Dove
Throughout Queen Camilla’s coronation, a number of individuals shall be answerable for carrying her regalia. The people and the corresponding gadgets they may carry are listed under:
- Baroness (Helena) Kennedy of The Shaws: The Queen Consort’s Rod
- Basic Sir Patrick Sanders: The Queen Consort’s Sceptre
- Charles Wellseley, ninth Duke of Wellington: Queen Mary’s Crown
- The Rt. Reverend and Rt. Hon the Lord Chartres: The Queen Consort’s Ring
Listed here are the people who will current Queen Camilla together with her regalia:
- Rev Rose Hudson-Wilkin, The Bishop of Dover: She’s going to current the Queen Consort’s Rod.
- Rt. Reverend and Rt Hon. Lord Chartres: He’ll current the Queen Consort’s Sceptre with Cross.
- Brigadier Andrew Jackson: He’ll current the Queen Consort’s Ring.
- The Archbishop of Canterbury: He’ll as soon as once more carry out the crowning ceremony.
Members of the general public
It’s anticipated that the charities backed by King Charles and Queen Camilla shall be prolonged invites to the upcoming occasion, though the listing of invitees has not but been disclosed. Buckingham Palace introduced in April that over 850 group and charity, representatives are anticipated to be current, with a big quantity being recipients of the British Empire Medal (BEM).
Additionally Learn: Who’s Max Woosey and why is he invited to King Charles’ Coronation?